Starfish Road         About Me         Starfish Books

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Book Blurb: A Game of Thrones

Title: A Game of Thrones


Author: George R. R. Martin


Genre: Fantasy


Synopsis: Fantasy at its finest. Any short synopsis will not do it justice.


Stars: 5/5


Lauren's Review: This book was everything I wanted it to be, and then some. I cannot get it out of my head. If you are a fantasy buff, this is an absolute MUST READ! If you're on the edge about fantasy ("I liked Harry Potter, but I'm not a total nerd") this book is STILL a must read! It combines the bests of all my favorite books, like King Arthur, LOTR, and Pillars of the Earth, into one awesome, epic tale.

The thing about this book that is the most amazing is the scope and detail. It's so intertwined and complex, and yet still totally enthralling. Description and dialogue are perfectly combined, and cliffhangers are randomly thrown in to make this 800 some page book a total page-turner.

Another beautiful thing is that it's not completely black and white. Fantasy has a tendency to have 'bad guys' and 'good guys,' and while this book isn't totally innocent of that, it has enough gray area that you feel connected to all the characters (at least the main ones).

I cannot recommend this book enough, please please please read it! Just be warned that you will be completely sucked in and may not have a social life until you finish it...and perhaps the 4 sequels.

Side Note: If you're not aware, this book has also been made into an HBO mini-series. I haven't seen it yet, but I hear fabulous things. I plan on checking it out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment