Starfish Road         About Me         Starfish Books

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Book Blurb: The Mermaid Chair


Title: The Mermaid Chair


Author: Sue Monk Kidd (who also wrote The Secret Life of Bees)


Genre: Romantic Fiction


Synopsis: A married middle aged woman goes home to take care of her depressed mother and has a mid-life crisis.


Stars: 0/5


Lauren's Review: Do not read this book. It sucks.

Why does it suck? Because the plot is boring and the main character is selfish. I understand that women are complex, emotional beings. But I also understand that when you have a nice husband who works full time so that you can pretend to be an artist in your cushy Victorian mansion, you really don't have that much to whine about. But Jessie whines and whines for a full novel. All the while ignoring the fact that her mother is DANGEROUSLY depressed and hurting herself. She is a terrible person. And I don't enjoy books about terrible people, unless they're interesting. And this one isn't.

That's why it sucks.

I hear The Secret Life of Bees is good, but I doubt I'll ever read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment